. . . I've been told that I write novels for email messages. Perhaps this is the way to go. I'll try to make each entry, or Gemstone, a "precious" one. On mediocre days, all I might be able to produce is a "semi-precious" entry. In any case, an entry might be a "neat" Gemstone--something that is uniquely mine.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sending My Oldest to College

So it has been almost 2 months since I dropped my oldest son off at college. I think it has taken this long to discover the "new norm" that is my life with 1/3 of my precious cargo missing from my day-to-day life. Leaving him at college, even though only 3 hours away, was incredibly difficult. I barely made it to the parking lot without being overcome with tears. But the good thing was that two weeks later, Labor Day, he came with us camping and it was just like he never left.

The other 2/3 now each have their own rooms, not having to share anymore, and both are now in double beds instead of their twins. These two are incredibly happy with their new, private spaces. My only concern is that now my oldest does not have a bedroom nor his own private space for when he comes back home for visits and breaks. He will now have to sleep on the sleeper sofa upstairs in the family room. He says he doesn't mind, but in my heart I think he does. I just don't want him to feel that he does not have a home base anymore.

Next home visit will be during a 3-day weekend after midterms in 9 days (but who's counting).

My sister posted an article on her Facebook page, thinking ahead to when her oldest goes to college next year. I'd like to share the link with you and feel so much of what the author feels as he sends his oldest off to college as well: Saying Goodbye to My Child, The Youngster.
The emotions of a parent, I can attest, are an odd mix: part pride, part resignation, part self-pity, even a bit of something that feels like grief.... 
Eighteen years is not enough. A crib is bought. Christmas trees get picked out. There is the park and lullabies and a little help with homework. The days pass uncounted, until they end. The adjustment is traumatic. My son is on the quiet side — observant, thoughtful, a practitioner of companionable silence. I’m learning how empty the quiet can be....
Well, 18 years is a window that closed too quickly. But, my son, those days have been the greatest wonder and privilege of my life. And there will always be a room for you.

No comments: