. . . I've been told that I write novels for email messages. Perhaps this is the way to go. I'll try to make each entry, or Gemstone, a "precious" one. On mediocre days, all I might be able to produce is a "semi-precious" entry. In any case, an entry might be a "neat" Gemstone--something that is uniquely mine.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Break Trip: King's Palace Tour

After the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens Tuesday morning, we went back to Carlsbad Caverns to go on a ranger-guided tour of the King's Palace portion of the caves. It was a 1.5 hour, 1-mile tour that descended into the deepest part of the cave that is open to the public, 830 feet below the desert surface.

Immediately when we entered into the section of cave known as the King's Palace, memories flooded back to me from when I was a kid visiting with my family. I guess this portion of the cave was open to the public, without a ranger, when I visited then. It is amazing how a memory can be forgotten, then retrieved again so quickly.

We walked along the trail and saw more amazing decorations, entering into the Papoose Room, Queen's Chamber, and the Green Lake Room (yes, there is a small green lake there). There were fantastic stalagmites and
columns and so many "curtains." We saw helictites, a chaotic, dendritic cave form on the ceiling. This section of the cave was a lot more active than the Big Room that we toured the day before. We saw water dripping onto a growing stalagmite in the Queen's Chamber that looked like an ice cream cone.

While in the Queen's Chamber, we all sat on the rock wall while the ranger shut out the lights. We witnessed a total black out! Could you imagine exploring the caves before lighting was installed and then having to navigate with only a lantern? I don't know if I'd be brave enough!

It's just amazing what can happen when sufuric acid can do to limestone! We could even see the "bashful elephant" in the flowstone in one formation.


~~~~~~~~~
Neat

"Let all that you do be done in love"

1 Cor 16:14

No comments: