. . . I've been told that I write novels for email messages. Perhaps this is the way to go. I'll try to make each entry, or Gemstone, a "precious" one. On mediocre days, all I might be able to produce is a "semi-precious" entry. In any case, an entry might be a "neat" Gemstone--something that is uniquely mine.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

End of the Year Musings

It's almost the end of the year and the beginning of a new decade. There are less than three weeks left of 2009 that will be packed full of holiday gatherings and spirit until we can welcome in 2010.

To be truthful, I'm ready to start a new year. 2009 had a lot of drama for me that included a lot of soul-searching and redefinition of who I am and what I want and need out of life. The decision to quit my job this summer was a hard one, but something I had to do to point myself in a new direction. I discovered things that were missing in my life and found them again in unexpected ways and places. I also learned so much from every person in my life that helped me to be a better person now. I'm thankful that I have such a strong support group in my family and friends to help me through the rough patches and to celebrate the milestones and highlights.

The highlights of the year are the same as any other year. They included all the times that I got to spend with family or friends. I reconnected with high school friends this year, which enriched my life immensely (the internet and Facebook are amazing!). We went skiing with friends early in the year and the boys learned so much. Spring break was spent in San Diego, one of my favorite vacation spots. This summer I got to spend a special weekend with my sister and got to go camping with my parents again. We got to do a lot of camping, which has always been one of my favorite things to do. We spent the 4th of July with friends and celebrated Thanksgiving with my sister's family and Mom and Dad. And now I've got a group of friends that I get together with regularly for trail runs and workouts (and of course, coffee or dinner). Yesterday I went with the ladies for a "Jingle Bell Jaunt" through town to spread holiday cheer. We dressed in holiday garb and Santa hats and wore jingle bells all over. We were quite the sight.

I started a new part time job last week in a pediatrician's office and I think it will be good for me. It was a great first week and it felt good to be productive outside of the home again. It'll get me out of the house and will keep me busy and out of trouble. I'm having to adjust my workout/running schedule but that will all come together soon, and I'll miss my Wednesday mornings with my friends.

This weekend I'm doing my holiday baking and candy making. Why do we only make certain treats during this one time of year? How many cookie exchanges can a person go to in one season? And why can't fudge be for breakfast? My boys always seem to ask the tough questions.....

Happy Holidays to all of you!

~~~~~~~~~
Neat

"Let all that you do be done in love"

1 Cor 16:14

No comments: