. . . I've been told that I write novels for email messages. Perhaps this is the way to go. I'll try to make each entry, or Gemstone, a "precious" one. On mediocre days, all I might be able to produce is a "semi-precious" entry. In any case, an entry might be a "neat" Gemstone--something that is uniquely mine.

Monday, November 23, 2009

What I'm Thankful For

There's a tradition in my family to watch the 1973 classic, "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" around this time of year. It is always amusing to watch Charlie Brown attempt to make a Thanksgiving dinner for all of his friends, who basically invited themselves over. Toast and popcorn were on the menu rather than turkey and mashed potatoes. Very funny. But within the humor are some serious discussions that make you remember why we celebrate this day here in America. Charlie Brown's friend Linus van Pelt said,
"In the year 1621, the Pilgrims held their first Thanksgiving feast. They invited the great Indian chief Massasoit, who brought ninety of his brave Indians and a great abundance of food. Governor William Bradford and Captain Miles Standish were honored guests. Elder William Brewster, who was a minister, said a prayer that went something like this: 'We thank God for our homes and our food and our safety in a new land. We thank God for the opportunity to create a new world for freedom and justice."
And Marcie said,
"But Thanksgiving is more than eating, Chuck. You heard what Linus was saying out there. Those early Pilgrims were thankful for what had happened to them, and we should be thankful, too. We should just be thankful for being together. I think that's what they mean by 'Thanksgiving,' Charlie Brown."
There are many things I am thankful for. Here are just a few.
  • This Thanksgiving I'm thankful that my whole side of the family will be together again. Mom and Dad are flying to my sister's house in Colorado and we're driving up. I can't imagine a better Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for my loving family that keeps me grounded and secure. There is no love stronger than that which you have for family. I am so blessed.
  • I'm thankful for a wonderful, loving, supportive, and understanding husband who has been my partner in crime now for 17 years. I'm also thankful that we have three extraordinary sons that keep us on our toes constantly and make life worth living.
  • I'm thankful for wonderful friends who take the edge off of life. We laugh together, see movies together, go out to coffee or dinner together, work out together, and run together. Most of all we talk about everything.
  • I'm thankful for my health, both mental and physical (sometimes the two are intertwined and depend on the other).
  • I'm thankful for my home and for living in a town that nourishes me with it's history, mountains, trails, and beautiful rocks. The people here are wonderful, too.
  • And I'm thankful for the internet. Without it, I would have never gotten to stay in contact with my family and friends as easily. I've been back in contact with old friends from ~25 years ago and it has been wonderful, uplifting, and life-changing.
I wish you a fantastic Thanksgiving!

~~~~~~~~~
Neat

"Let all that you do be done in love"

1 Cor 16:14

No comments: