. . . I've been told that I write novels for email messages. Perhaps this is the way to go. I'll try to make each entry, or Gemstone, a "precious" one. On mediocre days, all I might be able to produce is a "semi-precious" entry. In any case, an entry might be a "neat" Gemstone--something that is uniquely mine.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just Another Day

Today the 6th grade class went to music as their "special" class. Since they just had a performance last week, they are beginning a new grading period. This next project is to arrange or compose a piece of music using Garage Band. Now I've seen people using the program and have heard finished songs, but this is the first time I've actually used it myself. I spent the morning helping my two special needs kids find tracks that they like and combine them into the beginning of a song. My boy with Downs Syndrome likes upbeat Latin tracks and lots of drum beats.  My girl likes soft rhythms and soothing guitar sounds. I can't wait to continue helping them with their projects next week. This is a great project for all the kids. They were all so occupied during the whole class period.

In math today the 5th graders had a special team from the school district come in to teach a lesson. They do this about once a grading period and it is always a great day. They had the kids engaged in probability and outcome problems. I always enjoy it when these two come in to teach because they always get the kids excited about learning math. They do different activities and games, use examples from real life, allow for group interaction, and do no book work. It is a nice change from the normal math day and makes me miss being in charge of the classroom since I used to love to do lessons like this.


~~~~~~~~~
Neat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would love to see you go back and get your NM credential. That is where you belong. This does sound like a fun day.

Mom

Neat Rox said...

I am just waiting for the right time. I have been asking around, though, and what I might have to do first is to get my CA license renewed and then transferred to NM. But part time teaching jobs are not easy to find here.