. . . I've been told that I write novels for email messages. Perhaps this is the way to go. I'll try to make each entry, or Gemstone, a "precious" one. On mediocre days, all I might be able to produce is a "semi-precious" entry. In any case, an entry might be a "neat" Gemstone--something that is uniquely mine.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Superstitions

It's a good thing I'm not a superstitious person. I just read a list about superstitions associated with the New Year and I think I broke just about every one of their guidelines. I was wondering about such traditions surrounding the New Year, like why kissing at midnight is so important and whether or not it was okay to eat leftover turkey soup today for lunch (I had heard somewhere that to do so would be bad luck). So I did some Google searching and fell upon one of my favorite websites, the place to go to find out if something is true or a load of hogwash: Snopes.com.

According to the article on the website, "New Year's Superstitions," it is important to kiss those dearest to us at midnight to make sure that the affection and closeness you feel together lasts throughout the next twelve months. If you don't kiss your loved one at midnight, a year of coldness will be your fate. 

I didn't kiss my significant other at midnight.  Didn't give him a kiss for at least 12 hours afterwards.

Good ol' Snopes.com did have a mention about eating turkey on the first day of the year, believe it or not. The article says that you must not eat chicken or turkey on the first day of the year or else you'll end up scratching in the dirt for food like the birds in question.

I didn't have the leftover turkey noodle soup for lunch today, but my significant other did. The bummer thing is, I did have some turkey cubes in my salad.

And what about the annoying tradition of making a heck of a lot of noise on New Year's? This is so that you can scare away evil spirits because, after all, evil spirits hate loud noises.  

Well, I hate loud noises, too, and so did not make any kind of ruckus last night.

Other Superstitions:
  • Pay off debt: Nope, didn't do that. We're still in debt.
  • Nothing goes out of the house: Nope, didn't follow that one, either. Took out a lot of holiday ornaments and trash today.
  • Food: Nope, didn't eat the lucky food today. I don't like lentils or black-eyed peas and I definitely don't like sauerkraut.
  • Work: Do something successful related to my work? Nope, didn't do anything educational at all today.
  • Laundry: Don't do laundry on the first day of the New Year or else a member of the family will be 'washed away' in the upcoming months.  Oh, I sure hope this doesn't come true since I did two loads today.
  • Clothing: Wear something new on the first day of the year? No, didn't do that. I'm in my old blue t-shirt and jeans.
  • Breakage: Oops, we broke an ornament from the tree when taking it apart today. Now wreckage will be part of my year.
For many other hilarious and interesting superstitions, read the article yourself. I'm just a bit miffed that I didn't read the article yesterday so that I could have given myself a chance.

Hope you have a happier year than I'm obviously going to have!

~~~~~~~~~
Neat

No comments: